Saturday, February 5, 2011

Long conversations with my husband

Jeff and I went to the Sacramento Zoo today. It was Museum Day in Sacramento, so the zoo and a dozen or more museums in the area were offering free admission. Coincidentally, today was also my niece's 10th birthday! Hooray! So we took her along with.

The day proceeded pretty much as expected - Niece being all autism-y, Jeff working with her using the applied behavior analysis techniques he uses with his clients at work, my mother-in-law agreeing "Oh, yes, this really would work for her!" but all of us knowing nothing will happen. Seeing my sister- and brother-in-law, listening to them talk about whatever it is they talk about, etc. etc.

Anyway, it's a two hour drive each way. On the way down, I usually read. On the way back, I either fall asleep, or we have lengthy conversations - and by conversations, I really mean one-sided semi-therapy sessions in which I start talking about his sister and eventually get to my sister and my family or whatever.

Today I talked about how my mother let me down. How unfair it was that I always had to babysit my sister after school - particularly with my mother getting sick so unexpectedly-yet-regularly, forcing me to take care of her for even longer, to lie to her, and all with hardly a word of thanks, because after all, my mother was sick, what else did I expect them to do?

Jeff always has such remarkable insight, and I always end up so thankful that I married such a kind-hearted, understanding man. He thinks that my mistrust of female friends stems from these continued let-downs from my mother - whenever a female acquaintance does something, I assume the worst kinds of treachery. A coworker I joke with about other coworkers, well, she MUST be a double agent of some kind. A friend who rejects an invitation clearly is not actually my friend at all. The male friends who have stopped speaking to me? Not their fault, but rather that of their girlfriends.

Much to think about. Mostly, though, I'm thankful for these car rides with my love. <3

1 comment:

  1. He sounds like a smart guy.

    PS - I love when you invent words like "autism-y."

    ReplyDelete